Please take a look at our professional’s backgrounds below. Our firm values relevant industry experience in our professionals as you can be seen in our backgrounds. We believe that engineering experience designing and developing products is essential experience for someone who is drafting and prosecuting patents. Many firms may utilize patent attorneys who went directly from engineering college right into law school, or attorneys who were employed in peripheral areas of engineering such as sales or applications engineering. That may get the job done, but we believe there is no substitute for actual experience in designing a product and getting it into production.
Paul B. Heynssens
Patent Attorney and Managing Member
Find me on LinkedIn
Paul B. Heynssens is a registered patent attorney (47,648), and counsels clients in a variety of intellectual property and technology matters including patent prosecution (US, PCT, and foreign), and portfolio management. He has drafted and prosecuted patent applications in the areas of electronics, wireless devices, computer systems, computers, software, semiconductors, lasers, and mechanical devices, among others. Mr. Heynssens also maintains a substantial trademark practice where he helps clients select and register trademarks and servicemarks to protect their trade identity.
Mr. Heynssens was formerly a partner at Jennings Strouss and Salmon LLP in Phoenix Arizona. There he provided IP counseling and strategy advice as well as preparing and prosecuting domestic and foreign patent applications.
Mr. Heynssens also has experience as an in house patent attorney with Microsoft’s Redmond Washington campus. At Microsoft, Mr. Heynssens helped establish a new patent prosecution group and chaired its training committee to train engineers to be patent agents. He has firm experience at the patent boutique firm of Christie Parker & Hale in Pasadena, where he was responsible for portfolio development for various clients, ranging from startups to multinationals. He also has experience with large general practice firms, having worked at the Los Angeles office of the international law firm Hogan Lovells where he practiced IP law including assisting in patent litigation.
Law is a second career for Mr. Heynssens. He graduated from Purdue University with a bachelor’s degree in Electrical engineering. After working for large corporations as a design and development engineer he went back to school and obtained his law and MBA degrees from Arizona State University. He has worked as a patent attorney since graduation from Law School in 1998.
As an engineer at Motorola, he designed cellular telephone base station equipment, and was an RF design task leader in the development of microwave, UHF and VHF radio transmitters and receivers for military applications. While at Raytheon he designed RF circuits for communications equipment for the MILSTAR satellite communications program, and also designed high rate computer controlled test equipment for microwave and RF circuits.
Mr. Heynssens community involvements have included being a founding member of the Stevenson Ranch California Optimist Club, and the first Boy Scout Troop in Stevenson Ranch California. He was also a Wood Badge trained Scoutmaster, and Assistant District Commissioner with the Boy Scouts of America. He is also a licensed Amateur Radio Operator-call sign N9NJE.
Paul B. Heynssens, Attorney at Law PLC, Seattle, WA and Phoenix, AZ, Managing Member, 2010 to present
Karr Tuttle Campbell, Seattle, Washington, Special Patent Counsel, 2019 to present
Ater Wynne LLP, Seattle, Washington, Of Counsel, 2014 to 2019
Jennings, Strouss & Salmon PLC, Phoenix, Arizona, Partner, 2006 to 2010
Microsoft Corporation, Redmond, Washington, Senior Attorney, 2004 to 2006
Hogan Lovells LLP, Los Angeles, California, Attorney, 2001 to 2004
Christie, Parker & Hale LLP, Pasadena, California, Attorney, 1998 to 2001
Motorola Cellular Telephone, Arlington Heights, IL, Senior Electronic Design Engineer, 1990-1993
Motorola Government Electronics, Scottsdale AZ, Senior Electronic Design Engineer, 1987-1990
Raytheon Gvt. & Defense Systems, St. Petersburg FL, Electronic Design Engineer, 1984-1987
Raytheon Tucson Missile Systems, Tucson AZ, Member of Technical Staff, 1981-1984
Arizona State University, J.D. and M.B.A., May 1998
Purdue University, Deans List, B.S.E.E., May 1981
U.S. Patent Office registration no.: 47,648
Arizona State Bar Admitted 1999
California State Bar Admitted 1999
Wyoming State Bar Admitted 1999
Washington D.C. Bar Admitted 2005
Washington State Bar Admitted 2005
“File a Patent, Go to Jail” Intellectual Property Today, March 2004
Stephanie L. Goff
Apache Junction, AZ
Stephanie L. Goff is an experienced Trademark and Patent Paralegal. She has been preparing and filing domestic and foreign filings of Trademarks and Patents since 1999. She has served as the office manager for the Nelson & Roediger firm also handling the billing, receivables/payables, file maintenance, managing the docket, and all other tasks needed to manage a two attorney office, and keep it running smoothly. Through her work as an experienced paralegal Stephanie helps us keep our operation cost effective by assisting with many administrative patent and trademark tasks including:
Trademark (domestic and foreign)
- Client intake information including information regarding proposed new trademark / service mark, and description of the goods;
- Conducting preliminary trademark / service mark searches using the SAEGIS Database, Google and other Internet search engines;
- Reviewing preliminary results; prepare file for attorney; providing attorney with summary of results;
- Preparing trademark / service mark applications (use-based and ITU) for client signature, prepare formal drawing,
- Collection and review specimens for Trademark Office acceptability, filing of the trademark application;
- Corresponding with foreign associate re: foreign trademark / service mark filings, i.e., CTM, select foreign countries; docketing due dates, advisory correspondence to client
- Initial preparation and filing of Statements of Use / Requests for Extension of Time ;
- Initial preparation of draft responses to Office Actions and subsequent filing;
- Prepare and file Notices of Opposition / Request for Extension of Time with TTAB.
- Notify clients regarding trademark registration maintenance; Prepare §§8 & 15 and §§8 & 9
- Declarations as necessary, submitting to the Trademark Office;
- Management of the trademark docket (all docketing is done in Foundation IP, a product of CPA Global)
Patents (domestic and foreign)
- Assisting with client intake information including inventor information;
- Collection of information for, preparation of patent application filing documents;
- Preparation of assignments and recordation cover sheet,
- Checking and prepping drawings (U.S. and PCT) for compliance with USPTO/PCT requirements;
- Review of the file for prior art disclosure and preparation and filing IDS statements as needed;
- Filing of U.S. patent applications, i.e., design; provisional, utility; continuation; continuation-in-part; PCT applications;
- Assisting with the reporting and preparation of Responses to Office Actions, and the preparation and filing of RCE’s
- Receiving Letters Patent, review of claims, entering into long-term docket for maintenance fee tracking, forwarding to client;
- Management of the patent docket (all docketing is done in Foundation IP, a product of CPA Global);
- Notifying clients regarding maintenance fees; paying maintenance fees;
- Corresponding with foreign associates and assisting in management of foreign filing and prosecution re: filing PCT applications, corresponding with foreign associates regarding national stage filings and entry into the PCT National Phase;
- Corresponding with foreign associates regarding: amendments, annuities, legalization of documents, receiving foreign Letters Patent, reviewing claims, entering annuity reminders into docket, forwarding correspondence to the client.
Paul B. Heynssens Attorney at Law, PLC, Phoenix, Arizona, Paralegal, 2011 to present
Nelson and Roediger, Phoenix, Arizona, Paralegal, 1999 to 2011
Gibson Ferrin & Riggs PLC, Mesa, Arizona, Legal Assistant, 1997 to 1999
International Business College, Lubbock, Texas, Legal Secretary, 1988